Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats Prep Time 15 mins Cook Time 35 mins Total Time 50 mins Servings: 4
This recipe is great for the BJJ practitioner who want to cut weight without losing muscle.
- about 2 and 1/4 pounds (~5 total) medium sized zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika optional
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup Colby-Jack or Mexican cheese
- Optional: fresh limes, sour cream, avocado/guacamole, diced roma tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the top and bottoms of the zucchinis and slice in half.
- Using a sharp 1/4-1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, scoop out the centers leaving about a quarter of an inch rim and bottom.
- Drizzle olive oil over the zucchinis and rub that in. Add salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey in a skillet. Add in the garlic and onion and cook until tender and meat is browned through.
- Remove 1/3 cup enchilada sauce and add the rest to the ground turkey mixture along with the tomatoes, corn, black beans, cumin, paprika (optional), 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, and a few teaspoons of lime juice (optional).
- Mix well and then add in the scooped out section of the zucchini (this is optional to not waste food and have a stronger zucchini flavor, you can leave them out. If you add them, give them a quick coarse chop).
- Mix together and generously fill up and pack in the cooked zucchinis.
- Pour the reserved enchilada sauce around the zucchinis to give them more flavor.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, remove and top with the cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
- Top with optional toppings of choice: lime juice, sour cream, guac or chopped avocados, and diced roma tomatoes.
- Enjoy immediately.